The Child Exchange and Visitation Center (CEVC) is housed at the Safehouse Crisis Center's Administrative Offices in Pittsburg with a secondary Center located in Coffeyville. To obtain information or to set up an intake for either location, contact Theresa, CEVC Director, at 620-231-8692 between the hours of 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
WHAT IS A VISITATION CENTER?
A Visitation Center is a safe and neutral location for visitation arrangements with children without direct contact between parents or caregivers and a secure environment in which to conduct parental exchanges.
WHO CAN USE THE SERVICES?
Individuals can be referred by the court, attorneys, DV advocates, case managers, law enforcement, mediators, community agencies, or self referrals. Families in need of visitation and exchange services due to mental illness, domestic violence, child abuse, substance abuse, threat of abduction, criminal activity, or parent-child acquaintance may use the services. The intent of services is to foster positive parent child relationships.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
- Children are not exposed to conflicts or violence.
- Both parents are able to maintain a relationship with their children.
- Monitors and Security Guards are in place to ensure the safety of parents and children participating in the program.
- The neutral atmosphere is child friendly and promotes positive, consistent contact.
- Visitation records are maintained by the facility.
- The community benefits by the decrease in public exchanges, such as those at the police station or fast food restaurants.
Families referred to the Child Exchange and Visitation Center (CEVC) need a safe and neutral environment so the parental contact may be implemented or sustained. Clientele who utilize CEVC do so because both parties are unable to follow general rules of families, society, and the court. The program structure encourages parents to develop co-parenting skills, understand the benefits of nonviolent discipline, and identify healthy patterns of parent/child contact.
The CEVC provides trained Staff, Monitors, and Security personnel. Participants are treated with respect and dignity. Client confidentiality is maintained and files are kept in a secure location.